Saturday 25 May 2013

Southern XC Round 2 - Crow Hill

A rather different race this time...

Rocked up at Crow nice and early, got bike numbered up and was out on my practice lap early. The course was great, and open start area with a steep dip just to spread everyone out a bit; the first section was just like riding at home - flat and open but lumpy with the odd muddy puddle. After a short section on a farm track, the course entered the next section of singletrack - slightly uphill and incredibly rooty and slippery made for good riding. The rest of the lap was similar - the hills were short and sharp and there was more technical downhill sections to make the riding good. I chickened out on some sections and let the HR settle by walking, crashing on the practice lap would not be fun. Lots of very short steep section meant weight shifting and gear selection were key. In short the course was great and I couldn't wait to race on it.

Bike all ready to go! 
(Does it say something that I kind of wanted 69?)


I lined up for the start and could feel the nerves kick in. As it was also the Southern Championships I didn't want to be in the way of anyone who stood a chance so when the gun went I held my lane and tried to find some space. By the time we were out of sight of the start arena the group had spread a little but a bit of jam formed as everyone entered the first section. I found a wheel to sit behind at a good pace and rode as smoothly as possible to avoid pushing up the HR too much - there were 3 lap left!

I quite literally hit the first steep climb - shifting down a little too quickly, spun the legs and then while trying to shift up again my front wheel came off the ground and I went sideways. I ran the bike for the next 30m of the climb before a unplanned cyclocross re-mount (was pretty pleased with myself for that, had a bit of a grin for the next few minutes). The rest of the lap went great - my legs felt great and the climbs seemed easier since round 1 (bit more training and technique paid dividends). I even managed to overtake the girl in front of me - an adrenaline boost carried me back to arena where I realised I'd lost my bottle. A shout for a new one in the feed zone and a pro style grab-drink-chuck manoeuvre remedied that problem and I settled down for the next lap.

The first section was great, I decided to have a bit of fun on one of the hairpins with a motocross style drift with foot dab - not sure if it was quicker but I felt cool doing it. At this point the junior men were starting their practice laps and were flying past me. I heard a rider call from behind me with a feminine voice and got frustrated as I wondered how fast the pro's must be going to have lapped me this early - right until the 12 year old boy flew past me (sorry for thinking you were a girl). Just before the first farm track section there was a mud filled dip on the track. More riders were churning it up and it was deeper than on my first lap. I didn't think I was going much faster but I must have hit something badly as I managed to flat both tyres. Well, if you're going to do it you may as well do it properly...

Flat Tyre Number 1...

...And Number 2



In typical fashion I flatted at the furthest point from any of the marshals so a walk up the track followed (it was further than I thought, I was walking for 10 minutes) until I found the marshal and discovered I was about as far from the start arena as the course could get.... A walk back through some horse filled fields eventually got me back to the start where I gave dad the bike and walked back to the car. This was not how I wanted the race to end - my legs felt good and the bike was riding well. The course was good and felt I could achieve a good time but apparently it was not my day.

It wasn't all bad though, I got to watch some of the pro's ride one of the technical sections and after a chat with an ex-elite rider some new tubeless ready wheels might be coming from my sponsors (or my parents as they call themselves). We stuck around to watch the start of the junior, vet, grand vet and super vet men’s races and to see the women’s presentation. I found that as there only 3 juniors they'd given me 3rd place even though I had retired (not bad at all!).

Junior Podium

A somewhat frustrating day but lots was learnt. The races really highlight what I need to improve in training and with my exams nearly over I have more time to ride. My training plan has been suitably tweaked - a little of bit of change is good, it freshens rides up a little and gives a bit more motivation.

Thanks to Southern XC for another great event - the course, the location and the people were all fantastic. I can't wait for the next one (where I will finish properly!)



No comments:

Post a Comment